PRODUCT CERTIFICATION PROCESS
Step 1: Application process
- Dully fill in duplicate the standardization mark application form ( STA 1)
- Dully fill in initial factory assessment form ( STA 10) (New applicants)
- Dully fill in duplicate the standards levy notification form( SL1)
- Provide us with a copy of company registration form, CR12 for Ltd Companies, evidences for registration for CBOS, Cooperatives societies, self-help groups etc.
- Pay the required product certification fees as appropriate
- Acquired Product Standards ( specification and sector codes of practices)
Please note that no product samples are required at the time of submitting your application.
You can obtain STA1, STA 10, and SL1 forms at the nearest KEBS office or download from KEBS website www.kebs.org
Step 2: Assessment process
KEBS quality assurance officers will pay a visit to your production facility to;
- Carry out industrial inspection
- Draw samples for analysis
- Discuss and agree on scheme of supervision and control
Step 3 Evaluation
- Samples are analyzed at KEBS laboratories or other accredited/Designated laboratories to check compliance
- With Kenya standards or approved specification.
- If samples comply and inspection officer’s report indicate compliance with codes of practice a recommendation is made for issuance of permit to use food fortification mark to the Permit Standardization committee (PSC) for standardization Mark.
- If PSC confirms that all requirements have been met, a permit is issued.
- If samples fail to comply in the first instance and corrective action reviewed for appropriateness retesting of parameter not complied with is done free of charge and if product comply permit to use standardization mark is issued
- If samples fail to comply in the second instance and subsequent tests, testing will be carried at the expense of the manufacturer.
- If nonconformities are identified at the point of Inspection, the Manufacturer has the responsibility to undertake corrective action and inform KEBS to confirm the actions taken.
CERTIFICATION FEES SCHEDULE SCHEDULE
Food Fortification Mark (FF).
- Any manufacturer applying for Fortification logo must have acquired the S-Mark/ D-Mark in accordance with KEBS procedures.
- The fees payable for acquiring Food Fortification Mark is Kshs.10,000 add VAT per product per brand.
- All the payment for standardization mark application shall be made at the time of application.
- For any change request on permit the client shall pay Ksh.1000 upon evaluation and change granted
- Evidence of quality control on;
- Incoming raw material
- In process controls
- Finished products
- Product labelling
- Handling of complaints
- Plant house keeping
- Environmental consideration
Alcoholic beverage manufacturers/dealer, Animal feed millers, Fortified maize /wheat millers, Milk pasteurizer’s bottlers, Containerized drinking water and all fall under category 2(i) and 2(iv)above.