ISO/IEC 45001:2018 Occupational health and safety management systems
Requirements with guidance for use is the internationally recognized assessment specification for OHSMS. It was developed and prepared by project committee ISO/PC 283, occupational health and safety management systems.
The purpose of an OH&S management system is to provide a framework for managing OH&S risks. The intended outcomes of the OH&S management system are to prevent work-related injury and ill health to workers and to provide safe and healthy workplaces; consequently, it is critically important for the organization to eliminate hazards and minimize OH&S risks by taking effective preventive and protective measures.
When these measures are applied by the organization through its OH&S management system, they improve its OH&S performance. An OH&S management system can be more effective and efficient when taking early action to address opportunities for improvement of OH&S performance.
Implementing an OH&S management system conforming to this document enables an organization to manage its OH&S risks and improve its OH&S performance. An OH&S management system can assist an organization to fulfil its legal requirements and other requirements.
ISO 45001:2018 addresses the following key areas:
• Hazard Identification, Assessment of risks and opportunities.
• Managing OH & S risks
• Legal and Other Requirements
• OHS Objectives and planning to achieve them
• Resources, Roles, Responsibility, Accountability and Authority
• Competence, Training and Awareness
• Communication, Participation and Consultation
• Operational planning and Control
• Emergency Preparedness and Response
• Monitoring, Measurement, analysis and Performance evaluation
• OHSMS promotes a safe and healthy working environment by providing a framework that allows organizations to consistently identify and control their health and safety risks, reduce the potential for accidents, aid legislative compliance and improve overall performance (Prevent work-related injury and ill health to workers and to provide safe and healthy workplaces)
• Improves the efficiency of internal operations
• Improved employee safety and the quality of the working environment
• Compliance with applicable legal requirements
• Demonstrate high levels of occupational health and safety when bidding for international contracts
• Improves the reliability of your internal operations to meet customer requirements and overall performance
• Gain significant improvement in staff motivation and commitment and understanding of their responsibility in helping ensure workplace safety