A Kenyan Standard is document established by consensus and approved by the Kenya Bureau of Standards (KEBS), that provides, for common and repeated use, rules, guidelines or characteristics for products and services and related processes or production methods, aimed at the achievement of the optimum degree of order in a given context. It may also include or deal exclusively with terminology, symbols, packaging, marking or labelling requirements as they apply to a product, process or production method. Standards, therefore, help to make sure that products and services are fit for their purpose and are comparable and compatible.
- Standards under Public Review
- Standards Proposed for Adoption
- Standards Under Systematic Review
The following are the standards departments at KEBS
- Food and Agriculture Department: This Department is responsible for the development of standards covering food technologies, food safety, fertilizers, agricultural produce, livestock and livestock products, poultry and poultry products, etc.
- Chemical Department: This Department is responsible for the development of standards covering soaps, detergents, paints, pesticides, stationery and related equipment and all products based on chemical formulations.
- Service Standards Department: This Department is charged with the development of standards in the service industry such as tourism, hotels, transport, education, social activities, etc. These standards are aimed at addressing the evolving needs in the service sector and represent a growth area.
- Engineering Department:This Department develops standards covering civil engineering, electro-technology, information technology, renewable energy, textile engineering and mechanical engineering
- Standards Information and Resource Section: This section is responsible for the maintenance and availability of standards information, library, WTO NEP and sales of standards.
- Publishing Section: this section is responsible for the editing and publishing of all Kenya Standards and related documents.
Download the Standards Act: Inspection of Imports Order, 2018